When it comes to the fabrication of customized PCBs, the first thought anyone thinks of is types of custom PCB designs to choose from. However, for a person who isn’t well-versed with PCB fabrication and customization process, it is important to acknowledge that it requires consideration of factors other than just types of custom PCB designs. Types of PCB design like single-sided, double-sided, flexible, rigid, rigid-flex, high-density interconnects, etc are certainly important considerations. The selection of types of custom PCB designs is significantly impacted by several factors. This post introduces you to important factors that impact the selection and implementation of types of custom PCB designs.
Factors that Impact the Selection of Types of Custom PCB Designs
No matter what type of PCB is being fabricated, certain small factors may impose restrictions on fabrication. The considerations of the following factors will minimize or avoid restrictions on the fabrication of different types of custom PCBs.
- Types of Interconnect: The custom PCB designs are becoming compact with advancements in technology. It requires packing all the components in a restricted space without jeopardizing the efficiency. In certain cases, commonly, high-density interconnects are adopted. This allows packing the components on a PCB for high performance. However, the interconnect structure may interrupt design as interconnects may run through edges, drills, etc which eventually impacts the flexibility or component mounting in double-sided PCBs.
- Types of Vias: Vias are the connections between the components. These metal lines connect the components and transmit the signals from one component to another. In the customization of different types of PCBs, various types of vias are adopted. For the board designs types like single-sided or rigid boards, direct vias can be chosen. However, these direct vias may pose restrictions for rigid-flex and high-density interconnect types of PCBs. In such cases, buried or vias in pads are chosen. For high-density, high-frequency PCBs special types of vias are chosen.
- Stack-up Parameters: The layer stack-up is an important factor when it comes to selecting a PCB design. Often for multi-layer boards, the drill pattern, number of layers, the material of the substrate, etc, impact the design parameters of the PCBs. Therefore, these factors must be chosen carefully.
- Drill Pattern: It is the layout of holes created to insert component leads. The drill pattern should not have any drills on the edges or bending regions of the board. If the drill pattern is complex then the flexibility or layout of vias may be restricted which eventually impacts on types of custom PCB designs.
Along with these above-mentioned factors, a few more factors need consideration to ensure the performance and efficiency of the selected type of PCB design.
Considering the following factors helps in adding value to the quality of PCB fabrication.
- Choose the design that offers reliable and durable performance.
- Select reliable PCB fabrication, assembly, and testing techniques.
- Opt for lead-free PCBs design and development process if RoHS compliance is required or otherwise.
- Choose a halogen-free PCB production process to ensure safe and clean PCB manufacturing.
Now that all the factors beyond just the types of custom PCB designs are discussed, it is recommended that you invest in high-quality PCB fabrication services from trusted contract manufacturers. Rigiflex Technology, Inc is a reputed contract manufacturer of high-quality, durable, and customized PCBs for 25 years.